Tomorrow is the deadline for completed application and all credentials reaching Wharton admissions office including my GMAT score – I gave my GMAT day before yesterday and have emailed my unofficial GMAT score … that was CLOSE!!!
- Full time job + some travel
- Family – wife with two young kids
- MBA Prep
- MBA reception events of Wharton, Columbia, NYU, Duke, and Georgetown
- Working on essays for MBA applications
- Preparing for GMAT
Yes, you read that right, I have been thinking and talking about MBA for a long time, well I am doing something about it and starting a new blog just as I was preparing to submit my application for MBA was probably not the best timing, but it is what it is. I will not post frequently, but will try my best to share my experiences and timeline for the application.
After attending the reception events for Wharton, Columbia, NYU, Duke, and Georgetown which included talking to some professors and follow up chats with current and past students, though I like all these schools but I think Wharton best fits my needs:
- Its not watered down – every student I spoke to talked about how demanding the program was and how much they got out of it. Love the challenge!
- It has the best selection of classes for students – a strong core curriculum with a wide selection of electives
Last few months have been about these things:
- GMAT – given the Indian background and work experience in technology and management, I think 700 is the least I should get to have a reasonable chance at Wharton.
- Essays – Though my target school is Wharton, I am preparing application for other schools as well. Their essay requirements are similar but not the same, which means I am writing over 10 essays. PAINFUL!
- Transcripts – Getting friends in India visit my undergrad school to make sure that the transcripts are sent to the different schools in time
- Formalizing corporate sponsorship – time and money
- Lining up recommendation
- Prep for possible interviews
- Stress about fees and student loans I am walking into
Most of my application for Wharton was completed last week and this week was all about GMAT. Back in December, I brought used set of manhattanprep from a craiglist seller in Dupont circle for $150. These books and couple books from the local library were instrumental in the preparation.
Now that the application is submitted and GMAT scores are in – this is the first weekend in the last few months when I dont have a long list of critical things to be completed.
Now lets stress for a month or so about the decision the admissions team will take 🙂